Thursday, March 10, 2011

Google - traveling without moving ...

I love Google's location detection system... it takes me to places I've never been before !

Couple of weeks ago, Google decided to switch my default search language to Russian, I said: "Oh well" .... and I switched to typing "google.ro" in the address bar instead of using Firefox's search box.. Yeah, I know, the search box can be customized, but I'm too lazy for that ( yes, I am THAT lazy! ). Then, at some point, I wanted to sign up for some service that asked me about my location but also gave me the choice to detect it automatically using Google's service, and here I find myself in the middle of nowhere ... Yekaterinburg, Russia!


One day, I accidentally searched something using the search box again, and BOOM, the Russian language is gone. I thought it's fixed, but then I see on the right bar of my Google page: "detected location: Chicago, Illinois", as long as it's English or Romanian, I can live with it.


But wait, it gets even better ! After a couple of days, the usual "Google Search" and "I'm Feeling Lucky" were saying: "Penelusuran Google" and "Saya Lagi Beruntung" ....

 

The address bar happily stated: http://www.google.co.id - Google Indonesia!
It could at least send me to Thailand,  give me a nice massage too ;-)

Luckily, one day, I stumbled into the Report IP Problems form ! "Victory", I yelled! Filled the form, hit the submit button, thanked God and waited. 

And here I am, today, back to my sweet home - Google România!
 
It was a long journey, Phileas Fogg knows the feeling, I enjoyed it(NOT!!), and it's so good the be home!

Thank you Google!

0 comments: